Copyright © 2013 Audubon Nature Institute P.O. Box 4327 New Orleans, LA 70178 (504) 861-2537 email@example.com
Assistant Curator of Primates
Assistant Curator of Primates
Audubon Zoo in New Orleans currently has an Assistant Curator of Primates position available. Assistant Curator (AC) of Primates is a mid-level, supervisory position requiring the individual to be an active participant in the routine care, collection planning, and management of a diverse collection of primates, including great apes. Their primary responsibility is with the animals and staff of the Primate section. The Assistant Curator is responsible for maintaining the highest standards that include, but are not limited to animal health, welfare, developing and implementing enrichment and training programs which meet or exceed AZA/USDA requirements, staff scheduling and job assignments, staff guidance and feedback, exhibit quality and working to provide a quality visitor experience.
Audubon Zoo is in a significant growth period where there are many new projects, including a new orangutan exhibit, already underway. It is an exciting time to be a part of the Audubon Zoo.
Experience and Background Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university is required; preferably in zoology, biology, animal science or related field.
- Four years paid experience in a zoological facility is required, supervisory experience at an AZA facility is preferred.
- The candidate must have a working knowledge of the AZA Code of Ethics, AZA Standards for Accreditation, and AZA Population Management Guidelines.
- Must be comfortable with public speaking.
- Experience working with and managing a diverse collection of Primates including great apes
- Experience designing and implementing training and enrichment programs that meet or exceed AZA/USDA requirements
- Ability to successfully lead a team
- Ability to develop and mentor staff
- Impeccable safety record, especially working with dangerous animals
- Willingness to serve on the Zoo’s Hurricane Team if necessary
- Negative TB test
- Must maintain a valid Louisiana Driver’s License
- Proven competency in the application of Microsoft Office, Word, PowerPoint and Excel computer programs
- Self-motivated to set a good example everyday through implementation of best practice animal husbandry
- Experience working on conservation initiatives is an asset
- Must be able and willing to do routine facility maintenance work
- Physically demanding work several hours a day
- Sitting or standing, bending, stooping, and per OSHA regulations: Heavy work involving lifting no more than 100 pounds at a time with frequent lifting or varying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Constant adequate range of motion and mobility.
- Candidate is expected to perform keeper duties as needed
- Long hours are sometimes required including evenings, weekends and holidays
- Willingness to work irregular hours and be available based on special needs/circumstances on a 24 hour basis
- Ability to do physical labor, often in tropical heat or other inclement weather
- Ability to work under and handle stress in an appropriate manner.
- Maintain off-exhibit areas in a clean, organized and safe fashion
- Candidate must be able to work effectively with minimal supervision and approach all encounters with employees and guests in a friendly and service oriented manner.
- Ability to compose animal and exhibit information for publication for the following: Audubon’s website, AZA’s website and publications, other publications.
- Responsible for overseeing the pest control in their areas.