Copyright © 2013 Audubon Nature Institute P.O. Box 4327 New Orleans, LA 70178 (504) 861-2537 firstname.lastname@example.org
The aviculturist II is responsible for all aspects of the aviculture collection. Provides a quality guest experience through exhibitry and visitor interaction.
Provide a guest experience of outstanding quality
- Make each interaction with guests, vendors and fellow Audubon employees a positive one through hospitality and service.
- Be attentive, anticipating needs of guests whenever possible.
- Through body language, eye contact and attitude; be available and approachable for visitor questions and sharing of husbandry knowledge.
Exhibit the diversity of wildlife.
- Provide competent care for assigned exhibits.
- Responsible for all aspects of animal health and exhibitry in assigned areas including animal health and exhibit maintenance.
- Assist senior Husbandry staff in monitoring the health of the collection as a whole.
- Prepare and administer daily animal feeds.
- Observe and record feeding, health and behavior on a daily basis in order to monitor health of the animal collection.
- Clean all aspects of gallery to maintain a healthy environment and meet proper standards of exhibitry as designated by supervisors.
- Coordinate with supervisors and veterinary staff to manage and treat collection as required.
- Participate in veterinary procedures including necropsies; and accept the use of euthanasia as a necessary tool in animal husbandry.
- Train and supervise departmental volunteers and interns.
Educate our diverse audience about the natural world.
- Interact with large and small groups for educational presentations
- Participate in formal and informal guest education, including behind the scenes tours.
Experience & Education:
Must possess basic knowledge of animal behavior and care.
Bachelor’s Degree and no previous animal experience OR Associate’s Degree and 2 years of relevant animal experience at an AZA accredited or similar institution OR high school diploma and 4 years of relevant animal experience at an AZA accredited or similar institution.
Licensure/Certification: Must possess a valid driver’s license. First aid/CPR certification preferred.Apply Today