Copyright © 2013 Audubon Nature Institute P.O. Box 4327 New Orleans, LA 70178 (504) 861-2537 firstname.lastname@example.org
Education Department Intern
Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium is offering an internship within the Education/Volunteer Department for the Spring 2013 semester (February – April). This position will familiarize interested persons to the planet's most diverse group of animals, the Arthropods. This intern will also gain experience in public speaking, recruitment and informal education.
Intern will be responsible for assisting the Volunteer Coordinator with educating the public at our interactive stations and working in the butterfly garden. The position may include recruitment of new volunteers (contacting, planning and visiting different venues to promote our volunteer programs at the Butterfly Garden and Insectarium), and helping with daily tasks. You will be required to complete a research project that would involve creating a new lesson plan to be used for the Junior Entomologist program and/or onsite special events.
Minimum of 70 hours total per internship. Unpaid.
- Basic understanding of Biology and Animal Sciences
- Passion for Arthropods and their kin
- Passion for educating the public
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to stay on feet for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to handle prolonged periods of times in warm, humid environments (butterfly house)
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision
- Ability to lift 30-40 pounds
- Ability to work most weekends
Suggested fields of study include: Communications, Education, Theater and Biology
How to Apply:
Please submit resume with a cover letter that states why you are interested in the position and your availability to:
Gillian Rabalais, Volunteer Coordinator
Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium
1 Canal Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
or email to email@example.com.