Copyright © 2013 Audubon Nature Institute P.O. Box 4327 New Orleans, LA 70178 (504) 861-2537 firstname.lastname@example.org
General Summary: Reporting directly to the Director of Operations, the Horticulture/Ground Manager is responsible for planning and coordinating the upkeep of all interior and exterior property vegetation as well as planning and coordinating the upkeep and beautification of all property vegetation interior and exterior, and assisting in coordination of Woldenberg Park festivals. Will manage the staff of the Horticulture/Grounds Department and supervise the overall exterior housekeeping care of the IMAX, Aquarium and Insectarium. They are also responsible for management of the landscaping of the park and overseeing all maintenance and repairs needed to maintain the irrigation systems throughout the park and buildings. This position requires supervising employees at multiple facilities and having previous experience in recruitment and maintaining the inventory and files for the departments. Must show a strong proficiency in verbal and electronic communications, as well as the basic proficiency in Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel.
Provide a guest experience of outstanding quality.
- Responsible for in-house planting and maintenance projects, and daily general upkeep of the Aquarium, Entergy® IMAX and Audubon Insectarium with a focus on camera ready standards.
- Responsible for implementing and supervising all in-house transplanting, pruning and fertilization, as well as all landscaping and lawn projects with a focus on camera ready standards.
- Recruit and interview applicants; train new employees. Supervise and coordinate staff in project planning and execution.
- Inspect all equipment for safe and dependable operation, scheduling repairs when needed and submit reports as needed to the Director of Operations.
- Plan department’s work on a weekly basis, incorporating schedule review, project work list and other factors as needed.
- Conduct monthly departmental meetings and generate meeting notes to the staff and Director of Operations.
- Responsible for completion of annual employee performance reports.
- Develop and coordinate departments’ annual goals.
- Conduct monthly meetings with the Director of Operations to review departmental goals and objectives, as well as and including, project updates.
Weave quality entertainment through the guest experience.
- Ensure staff is compliant in participation with all ANI initiated training programs to ensure training and coaching to improve overall department performance.
- Train and enforce safety standards in all staff use of equipment, products and PPE and maintain written documentation of all in-service training and submit copies to the Director of Operations.
- Responsible for maintaining inventory of products and equipment necessary to maintain the overall operation of photo ready standards of facility exhibit vegetation and park standards for operation.
- Works in coordinating with MSDSOnline to ensure all Safety Data sheets on all products used at the facilities are current and all containers are properly labeled.
- Reviews with staff and maintains familiarity with A.N.I. policy and procedure manual.
- Responsible for personal performance and monitoring staff’s maintaining office and storage areas in a clean, well organized and safe condition
- Responsible for being knowledgeable of and adhering to OSHA guidelines for storage and disposal of hazmat materials through a qualified disposal company.
- Responsible for providing support in implementation of Internal Woldenberg Park Festivals, i.e. French Quarter Festival, Lundi Gras and Seafood Festival.
- Provide operational liaison and implementation support to Special Events in regards to events which occur in Woldenberg Park.
Operate a financially self-sufficient collection of museums and parks.
- Create and implements departmental and facility specific weekly goals, incorporating schedule review, project work list, Special Events and other factors as needed.
- Develops a written schedule for quarterly detailed project work for the downtown facilities and consistently communicates and coordinates these functions with impacted departments.
- Approve and maintain time records and schedule Horticulture staff.
- Maintains inventory of products needed for operation and is consistently evaluating this list for better execution and increased value in operation.
- Prepare purchase orders, check reqs and use his/her P-Card as designated by A.N.I. policy to purchase needed materials and products, using the resources of the Purchasing Department when needed.
- Develop and administer department’s annual budget and annual goals with a focus on controlling material overhead.
- Responsible for having monthly meetings with the Director of Operations to review departmental goals and objectives, as well as and including, project updates.
Coordinate sales/service process to enhance availability inquiries, price quotes, bids and special orders.
Supervision: Manages Horticulture/Grounds of five employees or more at multiple facilities, interior and exterior.
Experience: experience in recruiting, supervising and delegating to staff.
- An enthusiastic, self-reliant and self-starting approach to meet job responsibilities and accountabilities.
- 3-5 years minimum specific experience in managing production, maintenance and service resources in an operational environment.
- In depth knowledge of horticulture industry and products, including but not limited to turf management and arborist certifications.
- Must have extensive experience in grounds maintenance and upkeep, plant propagation, irrigation system maintenance and repair.
- A strong working knowledge tools and chemical usage, with the ability to translate this knowledge into workable project lists and timelines for the development and upkeep of overall camera ready standards of the facilities and park.
- BS Degree in Horticulture or related field desired
- Pest Control and Herbicide Licensed preferred
- Ability to further education in compliance with state and/or federal laws governing A.N.I.s compliance with position.
- Ensure the proper availability to technical support for customer inquiries. The ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Bilingual abilities (English/Spanish) a plus