Copyright © 2013 Audubon Nature Institute P.O. Box 4327 New Orleans, LA 70178 (504) 861-2537 email@example.com
Keeper II Bird Dept
Audubon Zoo is seeking an experienced and knowledgeable avian care specialist to join the Bird department team. The ideal candidate will be part of a group of dedicated individuals working with a varied and vibrant bird collection in a conservation minded setting. Other qualities sought are innovative thinking, and the passion to work for an educational and exciting guest experience.
This is a full time position that will report directly to the Assistant Curator and the Curator of Birds.
Bird keeper responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Daily husbandry of bird collection: cleaning and feeding of animals, cleaning of exhibits, holding areas and related grounds, general maintenance of exhibits
- Daily observations of animal health and behavior
- Maintaining accurate records for animals
- Assisting vet staff with administration of medications and treatments as needed.
- Development and presentation of educational programs as needed.
- Participates in the capture, restraint, and safe handling of animals as needed.
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned by curator or assistant curator.
- Training and supervision of department interns as assigned.
- Current TB test
- Ability to obtain a valid Louisiana driver’s license
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds
- Four year degree in biology or related field. Substantial paid experience working with an avian collection may be substituted for degree.
- Working knowledge of zoonotic diseases and their prevention.
- Required to work weekends, holidays, and overtime as needed.
- Ability to work outdoors in all conditions including hazardous weather.
- Working knowledge of avian management principles including incubation, hand-rearing, and capture and restraint of various species.
- Ability to take initiative to work alone, or in team situations with interns and volunteers.
Audubon Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a drug free work place with a competitive benefits package. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Salary and keeper level of position is commensurate with experience.Apply Today